March 29, 2010

Mixed Vegetables with Steamed Chicken Balls


Sometimes it happens with you, that you, yourself fall in love with your own creation. Whether it’s a write-up, a craft or a dish, anything, that will just give you an intense feeling of success and an inordinate mental peace and confidence of a true winner. It just happened with me when I cooked this dish. I didn’t ask my husband how the dish was (what most of the time I do), because I was so confident to get positive vibes.

 

Almost three years back, I was addicted to The Food Network Channel. I never used to miss a single episode. I loved to watch the way they used to cook and present. That day, before I cooked this dish, I was surfing my mind to cook something new and light. Suddenly just like a flash I remembered that I had seen, in one of the episodes of Food network, the process of steaming meat/chicken balls in a very innovative and simple way. The vague remembrance just led me to cook this wonderful tasty dish and share with you all...


Ingredients:-



For the Chicken Balls-



Minced Chicken- 1 Lb

Shredded carrots and cabbage- ½ cup
Salt-1 teas spoon
Black pepper- ¼ tea spoon
Italian herbs/seasonings- ¼ tea spoon
Corn Flour- 2 table spoons

For the vegetable and Gravy-



(Pls try to keep all the vegetables a same shape. That will make the dish more attractive. i.e. - if you are using a cube shape then cut all the veggies in to cubes. Here I am giving the measurement of the cut vegetables)


Baby carrots- ½ cup
Coloured Bell peppers- 1 cup
Green Beans- ½ cup
Cabbage- ½ cup
Cucumber- 1/ cup
Mushroom- ½ cup
Spinach (don’t cut)- a handful
Green onion (white and the green part separated) - ½ cup each
Vinegar- 1 tea spoon
Garlic- 5-6 cloves
Ginger- 1 inch thick
Corn flour- (depending on how much thick gravy u want)
Oil- 2 table spoons
Salt, sugar and black pepper to taste.
(More veggie you will add more colourful and healthy it will be).


Method-



1. Take a deep dense pan with a lid and fill half of the pan with water. Put on the stove to boil.


2. Mix all the ingredients given for the chicken balls. Fold nicely until it forms nice dough.


3. Oil your palms and make 14-15 balls out of the dough.



 


4. Cut silver foil into such a rectangular shape that you can nicely cover the chicken balls. Grease each foil lightly and fold the chicken balls with it carefully giving a shape of a ball.

5. Put all the balls in to the boiling water. Let them cook for 15- 20 mnts.

6. After they are done strain them out and let them cool. Separate the foils carefully and when are fully cooled.



7. Now heat the oil in a pan. Put the garlic first, when its brown slowly add those vegetables which take little bit more time to cook (like – carrots, beans etc). Cook for few more mnts then add all the vegetables and other ingredients, except the cucumber and corn flour.

8. Sauté until the veggies start to lose water. Add water, cover with lid and cook for 3- 4 mnts. Add the chicken balls. Check the taste if anything is needed. Add corn flour, diluted in water, slowly. Keep on stirring constantly while adding corn flour to avoid forming lumps. Lastly add the cucumber. After adding cucumber don’t cook more than a mnt. Cucumbers cook very fast. Serve hot with rice, pasta, noodles any thing...



It’s a very simple, light and healthy dish (light in the sense not oily or spicy). My husband and my daughter loved it very much. My daughter while having it told me, ma give me more momo. Then I just got the idea that may be MOMO can be steamed in this way too. I have the plan to try momo in this way. The steamed chicken balls really taste like the momo stuffing. And as told before after cooking it I just had fallen in love with dish, mainly with those steamed chicken balls.

This recipe is off to 'Healing Foods Event-Spinach' , hosting by Divya and started by Siri.

22 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Such a delicious dish, love those steamed chicken balls, thanks for sharing..my hubby will definitely love those chicken balls for the sure...delightful dish..

Tina said...

Yummy and delicious...

Vrinda said...

something new to me..sounds gr8

Sarah Naveen said...

nice clcik...looks so yummy!!!.loved the recipe..

Sushma Mallya said...

wow what beautiful clicks,very tempting one and seems very healthy too

PranisKitchen said...

good one..looks delicious..

Biren said...

This looks really delicious and comforting. I think my boys will enjoy it :)

Unknown said...

@ Priya, Thanks dear. I think surely ur family members will like it..its very simple and light but tastes grt....

@Tina, Thanks Dear....

@Vrinda, Thanks Dear...

@Sarah, Thanks Dear...

@Sushma, Thanks dear. Yea its really a very healthy dish....

@PranisKitchen, Thanks Dear...

@Biren, THanks dear....ur kids will surely like this i hope...my daughter loved it till the last bite....

Namitha said...

Beautiful dish..sounds great

My Kitchen Antics said...

I love the chicken dumpling added to this..great idea

sayantani said...

ei idea ta bhalo ami generally bake kore ni tabe eta besh anyarakam. darun darun recipe dichchis to. khub bhalo. ami akhono barite next mase firbo. betw thanks for sharing the awatd.

SathyaSridhar said...

Wooow,,looks delicious and perfect healthy recipe...steamed chicken balls sounds great very healthy way of eating food,,, sure sure am gonna try this recipe and pass it to you dear,,,thanks for sharing,,take care n keep on smiling

s said...

sounds absolutely lovely!!!!!

Pedhakka said...

first time to your blog !! you have a good collection !!

MaryMoh said...

A very delicious dish. I like it. For your info, your blog is too big on my screen. You may want to check that out with others.

Meena said...

pics look awesome...

Unknown said...

@An Open Book, Thanks dear...

@Gulmohar ,Thanks dear...

@Sayantani, u r welcome....:)...Bideshe ele beshir bhag somoy ta ranna gharei kete jae..aar deshe thakle ranna ghare dhokai hoe na..:(...bujhte parchhi barite khub mja korchhish....

@ Sathya, thanks dear..try the dish..I am sure you r surely going to love this....

@S, thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment...

@Pedhakka,thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment...

@Mary. Thanks dear for telling me that..I will be taking care of it...

@Meena, thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment...

Miriam Korula said...

kamalika....this dish is just a "wow" for me...looks great...i should give it a try sometime...:)

divya said...

first time to your blog !! you have a good collection !!

San said...

Succelent steamed chicken balls.You have an excellent blog which features food as well as the beauty of the nature which i adore too.Following you.Nice recipe which is pretty much delectable n healthy as well.Glad to follow you kamalika.Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

Rather nice place you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Hilary Hakkinen

Rumana Rawat said...

Very tempting...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected