February 23, 2016

#Lightmealchallenge - Pan Grilled Chicken Salad in Peanut Butter Sauce

 “You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.” 


Almost every day I retire to my bed - tired, suffocated with a replete stomach - with the promise that tomorrow would be the new start for me. It is the high time to watch my diet now. And that day never arrives. Sadly this is the #Storyofmylife - Don't tell me it's yours too!!! I know many of us are walking on the same lane. So let us do one thing - let us join hands together to give a quick start to the #lightmealchallenge. (How? focus on the foot Note of the blog post).

Continuing to the  #Storyofmylife - Every day I wake up considering the day to give a quick start to my "lose weight" regime.  But every time I end up in a plateful of rice enjoying a typical Bengali full meal thali. I have a good reason for gaining weight (that is how I console myself) because of my post-partum starving twinges. Being a feeding mom, I am always alarmed by my hunger pangs and that leads me to gain some extra pounds almost every day. I was so proud after delivering my second baby that I came back to shape within a month and fitting into my old slim fit clothes perfectly. But then gradually I started to gain weight, as a feeding mom, my intake of plenty of healthy nutritious food to supply the baby proper diet started to increase day by day. In the last 9 months, I have gained almost 6 kilos extra because apart from living on healthy and nutritious food I am eating too much. And it is such a letdown for me. I was never a diet prone person or rather I can say dieting is not my cup of tea. Once I had visited a dietician 4 years back. Obediently I strictly followed the diet regime for 7 days after the dieticians food chart. On the 8th day, my desperate soul forced me to rush to a food court and gobbled up a bowl full of oily Chicken Haka Noodles (the portion was for two persons) all alone as if I was deprived of food for a long time. My husband and my daughter were totally surprised at my action. They kept on staring at me and to each other. When I was done, they burst into laughter. But I felt like I got all the happiness of life in that bowl of noodles. I felt nothing could be more blessed than that moment. And that was the end of my dieting session. I realised then that the greedy foodie with a big fat belly inside me would never allow me to win over a diet session. So I decided to have light meals mostly that should be tasty, healthy and less in calorie.

So the conclusion is losing weight is not a matter of joke. One has to dedicatedly and religiously follow his/her daily meal for months after months. There is a wrong conception I have seen mainly in the teenagers that dieting means to survive on one or two meals a day or hardly eat anything. But they remain totally ignorant about the fact that how much damages this is making inside their body. If one really wants to lose his/her weight one should visit a good dietician who will give a proper guidance to lose weight. If you don't want to visit a dietician then you can always watch your diet by creating your own healthy light meals avoiding all the junk, greasy calorie intake foods. This will help you not to gain the extra pounds rather if you maintain it on a regular basis with some 30 to 60 minutes work - outs - you are definitely going to shred some weight. It will also help you to stay healthy. Before my pregnancy, I love to wrap up my meals in a one pot healthy dish. And that not only kept me feeling light, healthy but energetic too. 

Few things I have learnt from my past experiences are:
i. Never skip the breakfast and have a heavy breakfast. Skipping breakfast leads one to gain weight remember that.
ii. Four meals a day is a must. Stay on light  meals but never skip.
iii. If you feel hungry often have some fruits or a cracker. Or make some healthy fat-free small bite-size snacks made at home.
iv. Work out for at least 15 minutes is a must. Just walk in the room for 15 minutes in that will be a big help for one.

So I decided to go back to my light meal habit again. Here I am sharing one such recipe that you can give a kick start with the #lightmealchallange regime as I did. Enjoy the recipe and know how you can also be a part of this #lightmealchallenge at the end of the post.
Ingredients:
Boneless Chicken Breast - 4
Olive oil - 2 tbspn  

For Marination:
Peanut Butter - 2 tblspn
Dark Soy Sauce - 1 tspn
Sweet Chili Sauce - 3 tspn
Rice vinegar - 1 tspn
Fish Sauce - 1 tspn (optional)
Honey - 2 tblspn
Brown Sugar - 1 tspn (optional - See Notes)

For salad dressing -
Peanut Butter - 1 tblspn
Vinegar/ lemon juice - 1 tspn
Soy Sauce - 1 tblspn
Warm water -  2 tspn

Olive oil - 1 tspn
Chopped garlic - 2 tblspn full (more or less)
For the salad -
Any vegetables after one's choice - Assorted that fill 4 bowls.
(I used Boiled carrots, boiled Broccoli, Cucumber  and Letus leaves)
Salt and pepper as per taste.

Method:

1. Mix all the sauce under marination nicely in a smooth paste. Add salt and pepper as per taste.

2. Prick the Chicken breasts with a fork and then add them to the sauce. Mix nicely so that the chicken breasts get evenly coated with the sauce.

3. Marinate the chicken overnight if possible. Otherwise for 2 to 3 hours.

4. Take a grill pan. Heat oil. Add the chicken breasts and fry both sides in medium flame till they are done. Don't over cook. Otherwise, they will become hard. It will take approximately  8-10 minutes for each side. Take them off on a plate.

5. Now strain the burnt residue of the sauce from the pan and discard. Add the remaining oil. Heat it.

6. Add the chopped garlic and saute till they start to change colour.

7. In a small bowl,  add all the other ingredients under salad dressing make a smooth paste.

8. Add in the pan and just cook for a minute in high flame and take it off.

9. Take a big mixing bowl and add the vegetables for the salad after your choice. Add the dressing and mix well. Add salt and pepper after your choice. Mix well. 

10. Serve the vegetables in four serving bowls.

11. Slice the pan grilled chicken breasts and top them on the vegetables and enjoy. You can mix it with the vegetable and then serve. 

Notes:
1. Brown sugar is totally optional. It will give the dish a colour and an extra tinge of sweetness which can be avoided always.
2. The chicken breast can be added with some sauteed vegetables too.
Now join me to this Stay Healthy, Stay Fit & Stay Lite - #LightMealChallenge:
Rules:
  • Both bloggers and non - bloggers can participate.
  • Please post recipes that help you to stay light, fit and healthy.
  • Share your experiences on serving light meals.
  • Bloggers please add the above logo and link your post to my #LightmealChallenge Post at silencesing.in.
  • Both Non- bloggers and Bloggers, If you are sharing your post on social networks like FB, Twitter, Instagram then please add these hashtags #LightmealChallenge & #Silencesings and tag my FB page link along with your recipes so that I can keep on sharing your recipes on my page too..
  • Please note my Facebook page is Here.
  • My Instagram Id is - silencesings.
  • My Twitter Id is - silence_sings
  • Last date of posting all links is 24th March'16.
And also don't forget to visit our 2nd Annual Bake Sale by KFB.



1 comment:

Rafeeda AR said...

I was just discussing about weight to my colleague and I see your post... :) I have been overweight all my life, working and managing a home isn't helping me to lose my weight anywhere. I gained 10 kgs after shifting to my new residence and now that weight is stuck to me, thankfully not gaining, but still... I have a hell lot to lose... :) Trying to get myself in a groove and have told myself that I have five months to knock off the max I can before I travel home... hehe... will try to participate...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected