My cook was absent, that meant I got a chance to enter in the kitchen during the day time. Day time in the kitchen means I will be cooking lunch for my family. Lunch for us is always with a an elaborate meal spread starting with Rice, Dal, Veg Curry, Non-Veg dish, and Salad/Raita. This time I made Dhone Pata Rui (Rohu Fish made with Coriander Leaves). It really tasted awesome as the taste was so different from our regular fish curry cooked by our Cook. I didn't use too much coriander leaves as I was not much sure how my daughter will react against this new dish. Therefore my dish looks less green in colour as I really wanted to should look like. The fish sizes I have used were cut in to very small pieces and that is the most disappointing part for me. Please use big fish pieces to enrich the taste more. So enjoy the dish and let me then prepare few notes on this dish.
Rui Machh/Rohu Fish - 5 small pcs
Coriander Leaves - 1 cup chopped + 1/2 cup chopped to Garnish
Tomato - 1 medium
Onion - 1 medium
Garlic Paste - 1 tspn
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Coriander Power- 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Salt & Sugar - as per taste
Mustard Oil- As per requirement
Water - 1 cup (More or less)
- Rub the fish with 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder and salt.
- Heat the Mustard Oil in Kodai/Pan. Be sure that the oil should reach a high temperature. Add the fish slowly so that the oil should not sputter and burn your hand. Let the fish turn semi brown and then take our from the oil by letting go the excess oil. Reserve.
- Paste onion, tomato, 1 cup coriander leaves and ginger paste in a mixture grinder.
- If there is excess oil then heat it again. Be sure to make the curry we need very less oil.
- Add cumin seeds. Let it sputter. Add the onion paste and keep on frying till the paste gets fully cooked and starts to leave the frying aroma.
- Add the all the powdered masalas except the Garam Masala powder. Add little bit of water and fold well with the paste. Sauté it fro 2 mnts more. Add Water and let it gets boiled.
- When the curry starts to get boil add the fish. Cook till the gravy gets thick. Add garam masala and saute nicely.
- Take it off from the stove. Serve it in a serving dish and garnish it with the 1/2 cup of Coriander Leaves. Enjoy with hot rice.
- Cooking is an art and always use all the masalas as per your taste.
- If you want to add more coriander then pls go ahead. At the same time you will also get the green colour of it.
- You can half the Coriander leaves - add half with onion paste and the make a paste of the other half and add it just 5mnts before you off the flame. If you don't want to add the paste separately then just add the chopped one and incorporate with the dish nicely.
This one is the fourth post of the Blogging Marathon Event of Kolkata Food Bloggers. The Bloggers participating in it:
1. Amrita - Vishal @ http://amritavishal127.blogspot.in/
2. Archita @ http://architashomecooking.blogspot.in/
4. Sayantani @ ahomemakersdiary.com