April 25, 2013

Mocha Chingri / Banana Blossom with Prawns

I never claim that I always cook the original dish rather my cooking style is always fusion oriented. Yes I love to experiment. I read a lot about food and how it was done. I talk about food with my mother, mother- in- law, friends, foodies et al. But when it comes to cook a dish in my kitchen, I cook it in my way according to my family's and my taste. And I always love to leave a sign of myself by giving a twist in that dish. And that becomes my signature special dish. Just Kidding. Like here the original Mocha Chingri is cooked with kucho chingri/Shrimps (as I heard from others), but here I used Bagda Chingri/Prawns. And it really comes out well. The part this dish I didn't like is the taste of the Mocha/Banana Blossom. I bought a peeled pack from the hyperlink market. But it was not that fresh and when it was cooked it took quite a long time to chew and munch and the jaws got strained. So remember to use a fresh one. Sometimes Mocha/Banana blossom tends to be found bitter too. So before buying one verify it. Now don't ask me how!!! I always go to the market and rely on the vendor like a blind one. Yea I know, I have a long way to go and to learn so many things.

If  you want to about the Nutritional value of Mocha/Banana Blossom, read here:

"Nutrition: Banana flowers, similarly to bananas are an excellent source of potassium, plus vitamin’s A, C and E. According to research at the Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, which studied the flowers of musa paradisiaca, banana flowers have tremendous nutritional value, being a good source of fiber and protein. The flowers contain a class of phytochemicals known as saponins. Saponins lower LDL ,or bad cholesterol, boost our immunity against infection and are thought to inhibit the growth of cancer cells. They also have antioxidant activity and so can reduce our risk of chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease. Banana flowers are also an excellent source of flavonoids. These phytochemicals found in many plant based foods help prevent damage to DNA cells by neutralizing free radicals. They also help lower cholesterol, are anti-inflammatory, anticancer and anti-aging."

Ingredients:
Mocha (Banana Blossoms) - 1 Medium size/ 2cups (I used store bought ready to cook packet)
Bagda Chingri/Prawn- 11-12
Bayleaf - 1 medium
Whole Garam Masala- 1-2 (Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon)
Ginger  Paste- 1 tspn,
Cumin Powder - 1 tspn
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 + 1/2 tspn
Coriander Powder- 1tspn
Salt and Sugar as per taste...
Ghee - few drops
Oil - As per requirement

Method:
  1. If you are using the whole mocha/banana blossom them you have to remove the blossoms after peeling away the outer leaves and clean. Then you have to take out a stem inside and chop finely. (See HERE how to peel a banana blossom)
  2. Boil the chopped mocha for 15mnts adding little bit of salt and 1/4 tspn  turmeric powder.
  3. Strain the excess water and reserve.
  4. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a Kadai or in a pan. Fry the Prawns and keep it aside.
  5. Heat  oil (if you have some extra oil left from the prawns use that by adding little bit more if required) in the same Kadai/Pan.  Add bay leaf and the garam masala.
  6. Add the blossoms, mix well and fry for 2 minutes on medium heat.
  7. Add ginger paste, turmeric powder and the cumin powder (dissolved in very small amount of water). Fry for 2-3 minutes.
  8. Add the Prawns/chingri, salt, and sugar. Mix well and add in 1/4 cup of water. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until most water dried out.  Add few drops of ghee and serve hot with rice.

Note:

  1. The best is to use kucho chingri/shripms when you make Mocha chingri.
  2. Always use the fresh Mocha/ Banana Blossom, it tastes much better than the Peeled store bought packs and I am telling you from my experience.

14 comments:

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Mocha chingri looks fabulous, can't resist myself from this super delicious dish. Jive jol ese galo..

today's post:
http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/04/microwave-spicy-okra-bhindi-masala.html

Priya Suresh said...

Never cooked prawns with banana blossom, wonder how this dish will taste, very attractive clicks Kamalika.

eshoboshoaahare.blogspot.in said...

Yummy Recipe... nice clicks too...

Nava K said...

Very intesting recipe but not sure if I can find the banana blossom. In fact I am sure whether its available at my place.

Surely that ingredient, the prawns and the rest of the ingredients captured the right taste and flavors.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious and healthy combination of prawn and mocha. Looks super tempting.
Deepa

divya said...

gorgeousness..n simply yummm

Unknown said...

Its my favourite. Yummy dish and nicely explained too!
http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

Unknown said...

very interesting recipe with banana blossom :)

Unknown said...

Soo innovative & interesting recipe dear...
Congratulations !!!
Im here 2 pass u a Liebster Blog Award from my side...
Do grab it frm the below link & dont 4get 2 cmmnt when u receive it n when u pass it..Let me knw too...
http://www.sajustastes.com/2013/04/my-2nd-3rd-4th-liebster-blog-awards.html

Ruxana Gafoor said...

interesting yummy recipe...happy to follow you,would be glad if you too followed me..

Preety said...

I Just love the way you dress up your food for pics..

Nupur said...

Your Blog is quite colorful ! The pictures look so appealing..

Never tried this rcipe before.. would love to :)

Unknown said...

Thanks to all of you...:)

Unknown said...

nice recipe and never heard abt it.... thanks for sharing...adorable clicks too

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected